Seeing Dots

Thursday, May 03, 2012

I went to Woodbury Common for the first time last weekend. It lived up to the hype; outlet shopping won't be the same for me again.

After walking around for a ridiculous eight hours (have to get our money's worth on gas, lol), I left with a single item, a theory Richia W dress in navy/natural polka dots (may still be at outlets - tag info). It was marked down to $79 with an additional 25% off dresses that weekend. Not bad for a dress that's 100% silk.

The smallest size left at the store was a 4, which I eyeballed and concluded may work for me. My friend K took one look and said, "no way, it'll be too big". Unfortunately, K was right and I need to get my eyes checked. The armhole was big, v-neck a bit low, and the waist loose (sorry for the lack of photos). K and I talked about potential alterations: slimming the sides (vetoed, too costly due to side zipper), raising the neckline and armholes by shortening the straps at the shoulders (no, would leave a visible seam), and shortening the straps from the back (see pic below) where the two pieces of fabric met (best idea because seam would remain hidden due to the design and shouldn't be too costly). Sigh, I know I should already be seeing these problem spots and potential solutions myself, but it's much easier (and more fun) shopping with a friend who sews :)
While I mulled things over, K suggested that I go stalk this other girl walking around with the same dress in case she puts hers back on the rack (tempting, but the only subtle stalking I know how is online) or ask an SA to check sizes at other stores across the country (can't believe the style finder option completely slipped my mind). The only issue with the latter is that I wasn't sure if a size 2 would still be loose or if a size 0 would be too tight. K recommended a size 0 and well, after my eyes misjudged a size 4, I shouldn't be trusted. Luckily the SA was able to locate the last size 0 in the entire country for me. Hallelujah! Shipping was $15 (high, but I really wanted the dress), so I figured it essentially canceled out the 25% off promo. If you're my size and interested in the dress, it wouldn't hurt to call a store in case there's been returns.

The dress in size 0 fit me so much better than the 4 (neckline: perfect, armhole: still a teensy bit big, waist: just right). Thank you K for your awesome eye for detail. This dress' style is a bit maternity-ish, with the higher waistline flaring out slightly to a tulip skirt. When the wrong gust of wind blows by, it certainly looks like I could be pregnant (need proof?) For that reason, it may be hard to pull off, but I'm determined to try. I just couldn't pass up the adorable print. I like the size of the polka dots on me, it has pockets, the colors are classic and neutral, and it's just a fun dress overall to wear throughout spring and summer.

I know, polka dots are everywhere, and I'm probably the last person to hop aboard the bandwagon, even if it was accidental. Are you a fan or are you ready for the next trend?
sunglasses: Old Navy round metal-hardware (similar)
necklace: Forever 21 twisted chain (sold here)
dress: theory Richia W (similar; similar)
ring: Forever 21 textured horse shoe (similar)
bag: agnes b (similar) - gift from cousin
flats: Sam Edelman Hera (similar)

You Might Also Like

22 comments

  1. I have a Target navy blue polk-dot dress that I've been wearing all the time! Yours is much nicer, haha :) But I've always loved a good polka dot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun dress! I totally understand the drive to keep at it until you find your size...kudos to you b/c it definitely paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a pretty polka dot dress. I love the jacket you paired with it.

    xoxo,
    Suzie Q
    Style Cue by Suzie Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress is adorable, Cee! Nice score. And what a friend! Didn't know Theory does style finder, have to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that back detail! The print is great and makes this dress so versatile. What a fantastic find!

    Britt
    Secondhand Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! It looks like it fits you so well, and the back detail is the perfect summery surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, Cee ... great price for silk, and my favorite detail is the back. I haven't visited my Theory outlet in forever and this has me itching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love dots but don't own anything yet....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dress, Cee! It's so adorable...great price, too! The back of this dress is so elegant. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that dress is stunning on you, Cee! worth the shipping cost for sure. i hope we'll be seeing a lot of it! i sadly am still on the search for a good polka dot item. i havent had much luck with anything recently, actually
    amber Easy Petite Looks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be wearing this dress a lot. Hopefully I can come up with different ways to style it for the blog ;)

      Delete
  11. Great score!! I love the back of this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I died when I saw that you provided "proof" that this dress could be mistaken for maternity wear! Beautiful silk dress - love the back and length on you! I jumped on the bandwagon (and made E hop on too) a while ago so love the polka dots :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha glad you enjoyed that pic. I had fun looking through my blooper reel.

      Delete
  13. Polka dots are my fave!!! And I love the little detail in the back ;)

    http://www.mythriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dress was absolutely worth the hassle it seems like it was to get it...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is by far the best polka dot dress I have seen. I love the detail on the back of the dress. Your friend has a good eye. The dress is worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful dress Cee! I think the price was worth it for 100% silk, the flattering fit and the gorgeous back detail!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had fun at Woodbury! I never find anything there - though the Theory outlet never disappoints - so I've stopped going. I think I need to pay them another trip!

    Love this dress, my eyes lit up when I saw the picture...it fits you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so cute Cee! I love the size of the dots and you got a great price for silk. Great little summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this dress is so adorable on you Cee, love the polka dots and also the back of the dress. Lil sexy and classy at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the fit of this dress! Now my mission is to chase it down.

    <3
    A Preponderance of Fashion

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Constructive criticisms welcome!

30 for 30 abercrombie abercrombie & fitch accessories adidas adrienne vittadini agnes b alejandro ingelmo alexandre birman ali ro alternative apparel american eagle amrita singh ann taylor anthropologie apple aqua armani exchange articles of society asos award bag balenciaga banana republic barbour bath and body works bcbg bcbgirls beauty bebe bensoni biltmore for madewell blank nyc blog every day bloggers do it better bois du boulogne bp. brian nagourney burberry by malene birger c. wonder c/meo collective canada goose cara accessories carlos by carlos santana carolina bucci cartonnier caslon casual cb2 celebrities celine chanel chantecaille chelsea28 chicwish china glaze chloe christian louboutin citrus clothing clu too club monaco coach coffee shop cole haan collection collection 18 color brigade columbia crate & barrel crewcuts cuyana cynthia rowley david yurman dc deborah lippmann decor delman disney couture diy dogeared dressy dsquared2 ebay elizabeth and james elleme equipment esprit etsy everlane express featured fendi forever 21 frank & eileen free people gap gara danielle gibson giles & brother giveaway gorjana goyard grace gift gucci h&m halogen halogen x atlantic-pacific halston heritage haul hearth & hand heirloom finds hollister how to hue hunter ikea ilnp in real life inspired by iris & ink isabel marant ivanka trump j.crew jennifer chamandi jenny yuen jewelry jimmy choo john hardy jones new york joules julie vos kate spade kristin coffin l'oreal lanvin lanvin x h&m lesportsac levi's loeffler randall loft longchamp look for less looks like summer lord & taylor lou & grey love 21 lucy m.gemi mac macy's madewell maje make make up for ever manolo blahnik marc jacobs mary katrantzou massimo dutti maybelline mercedes-benz merona michael michael kors misc miu miu mlb modcloth mossimo moulinette soeurs msgm mvmt nadri new balance new balance for j.crew nike nina ricci nine west nordstrom north face nyc nyc new york color nyx old navy olivia burton opi oscar de la renta pfc pierrepont hicks piperlime plastic island pleione polene polo prabal gurung at j.crew proenza schouler ralph lauren ramblings raphaella booz reader mail rebecca minkoff red valentino reed wilson design review revlon river island robert rodriguez ross-simons rsvp saint james saint laurent sales sally hansen sam edelman schutz shashi shinhwa shoes shopbop shopping shopstyle simply vera vera wang sinful colors professional soia & kyo sole society sony sorel sorel for j.crew sperry sponsor spotted moth stella mccartney stephanie b strathberry stuart weitzman style file superdry t3 tadashi shoji tagged talbots target the container store the horse the limited theory tips & tricks too faced topshop tory burch tous colors toys travels ugg uniqlo uniqueen unknown valentino veque for j.crew vera bradley via spiga victoria's secret vince vince camuto vineyard vines walmart ways to wear west elm white house black market wishlist work xhilaration xoxo yearly summary ysl zac posen for target zara zella